Bakersfield Violent Crimes Attorney
Call Humphrey & Thompson
Crimes of violence are punished harshly under state law, and can have a devastating effect on your life. If you are facing charges for a violent crime, you need to contact a Bakersfield criminal defense lawyer from our firm as soon as possible. An experienced and aggressive attorney gives you the best opportunity to beat the charges and avoid the penalties.
Choose Proven Defense for Your Case
There are many offenses that are considered violent crimes. Each crime has its unique laws and penalties. No matter what charge you are facing, you need an attorney to defend you and fight for every possible advantage in your case, including dismissed charges, reduced charges or an acquittal at trial. Visit the pages below for more information about the types of violent crime cases we handle:
Domestic violence is the act of using violence against someone in your home. It is typically generalized as violence between a husband and wife, or people living together in a romantic relationship. Domestic violence is seriously frowned upon and once the police are called, an arrest will almost always be made. Domestic violence can result in jail.
Murder is defined as unlawfully taking someone else's life. Murder is an extremely severe charge, and under the right circumstances can even result in the death penalty. Manslaughter is unintentionally causing someone's death, but even an unintentional death can be tried as murder if it occurred while the defendant was perpetrating a felony crime.
Assault is the threat of causing unlawful bodily harm along with the apparent ability to carry it out. For example, the term "assault with a deadly weapon" means that a threat was made with a deadly weapon to back the threat up. This is a serious offense that can result in jail and go on your criminal record.
Battery is the actual unlawful touching of another person. Any physical violence that is perpetrated against a victim is battery. Assault and battery are often charged together because it is likely for someone to threaten violence, and then act on that threat. Battery can be a felony or misdemeanor charge, depending upon the circumstances.
How Can a Violent Crimes Attorney Help?
Crime in Bakersfield happens often, but that is no reason for you to be denied due process when accused of one. If you're facing a violent crime charge in Bakersfield, having a seasoned violent crimes attorney by your side can make a world of difference. These lawyers are well-versed in the intricacies of violent crime law and can provide invaluable assistance throughout the legal process. They will advocate for your rights, build a strong defense strategy, and strive to minimize the potential consequences of a conviction.
Services Provided by a Violent Crimes Attorney
- Case Evaluation: They will thoroughly assess your case, the charges against you, and the associated evidence, establishing the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
- Legal Advice: They offer expert legal advice and guidance to ensure you understand the charges you're facing, possible outcomes, and the legal process ahead of you.
- Defense Strategy Formulation: Based on the circumstances of your case, they devise a bespoke defense strategy aimed at either proving your innocence or reducing the severity of the punishment.
- Representation in Court: They represent you in court, present your case effectively before the judge and jury, cross-examine witnesses, and counter the prosecution's arguments.
- Negotiations & Plea Bargains: If necessary, they negotiate with the prosecution for a plea deal that could lead to reduced charges or a lesser sentence.
- Post-Trial Actions: Post-trial, they can assist with appeals or seek modifications to the sentencing if there are grounds to do so.
- Emotional Support: Understanding the stress and emotional trauma accompanying such charges, they also provide emotional support and reassurance throughout the process.
Enlist a Skilled Violent Crimes Lawyer in Bakersfield
At Humphrey & Thompson, we are well versed in the areas of violent crimes, and we understand how the legal process surrounding these laws works. Violent crimes are extremely serious, and being convicted of one will give you a criminal record and a reputation that will follow you around for years. You can lose your job over such a crime, and will find that you will have a more difficult time being hired in the future.
Our firm has decades of experience defending our clients against their criminal charges, and we can help you with yours as well. There are many viable defenses when it comes to violent crimes, and it is our intention to help you by doing everything in our power to prove your innocence. An effective and aggressive defense may result in your charges being reduced or dropped.